Disability Grants For Blind Single Mom Penny To Maintain Healthy Active Life
by Penny Fleckenstein
(Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA)
With guide dog Bryanna and son Zachary
I'm Penny Fleckenstein, 50-year-old single mom of six. I live in Pittsburgh, PA with my four youngest:
- 21-year-old lady, a senior in college
- 18-year-old man, a senior in high school
- 16-year-old young man
- 6-year-old boy.
I participate in many organizations and activities:
- Pittsburgh Friendship Group
- Various Meet Up groups
- 2nd VP of BOLD (Blind Outdoor Leisure Development)
- Toastmasters (former member)
- Contributor to Consumer Vision Magazine (former, planning to resume)
- Behind Our Eyes (a writers group for people with disabilities)
- Health and wellness blog (http://www.notyouraveragesinglemom.com/)
- Motivational speaker
- Bike club called Mile Posters
In the past, I operated an in-home daycare and co-founded an organization in Ithaca, NY called Shot In The Dark.
I'm passionate about helping people and animals, cooking, reading and writing.
I was born totally blind with microphthalmia, which means small eyes.
My other challenges include: fibromyalgia, sleep apnea, plantar fasciitis in my feet, psoriasis and migraine associated vertigo.
I'm in chronic pain and feel nauseous a lot. I'm incredibly health-conscious doing my best to eat well and stay active.Financial Hardship
We have more month than money. We have a tight budget but with desires to increase the education and athletic activities of all of those who live here.
I require adaptive technology, sighted assistance and Access Transportation.
I need more hours in home health aid. I'm responsible for my various medical co-pays, which I'm behind on.
I'm in need of dental care beyond what Medicaid and Medicare will pay for.
I must pay for Brianna's food and vet bills to keep her in good health.Income Efforts
- $1073 in Adult Disabled Child Social Security each month
- Assistance from family and friends
- Six hours a week of Home Health aid
- Medicaid and MedicareSpecific Needs
- Adaptive equipment and software Window-Eyes 9.2
- Kurzweil scanner for print documents
- Duxbury to translate text into Braille for the Braille embosser
- Braille embosser
- Braille display
- Financial assistance with my guide dog's vet bills and medications
- Financial assistance with my Pittsburgh to Washington, D.C. tandem bike trip, which I'm planning with Mile Posters summer, 2016
- Financial assistance for my 18-year-old son to accomplish his dream of going to a Christian college and being in Youth Ministry
- Financial assistance for my 16-year-old son to attend college or trade school after he graduates from high school in 2017
- Financial assistance for my 6-year-old to advance educationally and athletically
- Financial assistance to purchase a home.Business Idea
I'm a voice actor desiring to grow my business. (http://pennyfleckenstein.icanvoice.com/
) I would love to read audio books, read training material, participate in training videos, and do voiceovers for phone systems and for commercials. It's something I really love to do.
I also want to eventually travel on motivational speaking engagements to help inspire others. I write poetry and short stories and would love to publish some books, which I'm in the process of writing.