Helpful Disability Resources For The Disabled And Their Caregivers
Sound disability resources are a must for the disabled and their caregivers. All resources listed here have been carefully vetted for relevance and usefulness to people with disabilities. Find them all in five categories as follows:
Appearance of a resource on the following list does not imply endorsement of it by Ability-Mission.org. We frequently check links to be sure they're still working. If you find one that isn't, please contact us.
This section has disability resources that we created ourselves.
- Benefits.gov How To Guide – Get help finding out which of 1000 benefits programs you're eligible for.
- Social Security Disability Benefits – Use this step-by-step guide to understand the not-so-clear SSD FAQ page.
- Social Security Disability Payments – Get concise easy-to-understand tips about how SSD payments work.
- Assistive Technology For The Disabled – Learn how to get things like screen readers at no or little cost.
- Nutrients In Low Budget Foods – Find suggestions for common low-cost foods that are good for you.
- Reduce Doctor Visit Transport Costs – Learn about telemedicine and how it can reduce your costs.
- Gentle Imagination Exercise – This gentle little exercise is a fun way to prepare for a session with a hypnotherapist.
- Disability Social Media Hashtags – Discover the hashtags (words starting with #) that help you promote your cause online.
In this section are resources for vision-disabled persons. The size of the list reflects the importance of web sites being accessible to those with vision problems.
- All About Vision (Social Security Disability Benefits)
- Glaucoma Research Foundation
- Macular Degeneration (Use Your Peripheral Vision to See Better)
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Blind Net
- The Foundation for Fighting Blindness
- The National Eye Institute
- New York Eye and Ear Infirmary
- The Schepens Eye Research Institute (Harvard)
- View Point Mobility
- Hearing Loss Association of America
In this section are disability resources related to general health issues. You could say it's non-vision-related, because vision resources are so thoroughly covered in the preceding section.
- American Medical Association
- Prescription Medications - Drug3k - Online Drug Encyclopedia
- Mesothelioma Group
- Treat Mesothelioma
- Mesothelioma Veterans Center
- Mesothelioma Help For Veterans
- Cerebral Palsy Guidance
In this section are resources related to age. In general, age brings on more ailments, so there are sites dedicated to the elderly to make it easier for them to access needed resources.
In this section are links to social media pages relating to the mission of Ability-Mission.org. You can work with them to draw attention to the case or cause described in your story here at Ability-Mission.org.
- Make A Hero
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- Spina Bifida Association
- Spina Bifida Resource Network
- Visually Impaired People
- United Cerebral Palsy Association
- Living With Cerebral Palsy
- American Medical Association
- Third Age
- This Is MS Multiple Sclerosis Community
- Living Day to Day with Multiple Sclerosis
- BrainTalk Communities Inc (MS)
- MD Junction Multiple Sclerosis Support Group
- HealingWell.com Multiple Sclerosis Forum
- NeuroTalk Support Groups (MS)
- CPTalk Cerebral Palsy Forum
- eHealth Forum
- HealthBoards Health Message Boards
The mission of this site is to help you get your story in writing with the right information in the right order.
We are grateful to Judy Schnitzer who compiled the original list of disability resources back in the 1990s. If you know of a resource that you think should appear here, please contact us.