Header for Ability Mission

Encouraging Learning Disabled Children To Avoid Life Of Substance Abuse

by Joseph Truax
(Indianapolis, Indiana, USA)

First off, I would like to say that it is so hard to write a story like mine with a limit of 10,000 characters!

I've removed many of the details that make this story unique, but I have the whole story written down if you ever want to read it.

I am 28 years old. I was born disabled. I have ADD/ADHD, Dysthymia, Borderline Personality Disorder, Anxiety and Early Partial Remission of Poly-substance Abuse.

Physically, I look like the average citizen, mentally and emotionally. I am anything but.

I have had a very difficult life, without any type of support system, and this has led me down many terrible paths.

I was given up on when I was 7 years old. My father could not handle me. I went to live with my mother who has disabilities of her own.

We got along pretty well when it was just the two of us. She met her current husband when I was 10 years old.

This man caused me great turmoil. He threw a hammer at me, and it struck me in the side of the head.

When I was 13, I pushed my mother. She would not stop talking, and making me feel bad. I got a domestic violence citation for doing so.

I went to court, and this event started a downward spiral for the rest of my life to follow.

At 14, my stepfather and I got into a fight. He was goading me by getting in my face and taunting me. I kept pushing him away.

I did not know that I was pushing him into a wooden counter that held shoes. It punctured his back in several places. I never hit him one time.

My mother called the police, and I was sent to Juvie.

Because of my disabilities, it took me 7 months longer than average to complete the program. I was constantly in trouble.

After 9 months of problems, something finally clicked, and after 11 months in Juvie, I graduated from Residential Treatment.

I then went back to my mother's. We immediately started arguing again. I was sent back to Juvie. After a very short period of time, I was sent to a foster home.

This did not last very long. I was in the 11th grade. My foster father and I got into it, and I was, once again, returned to Juvie.

After 2 more months there, I was accepted to Job Corps. I attained my GED and completed a certification in Culinary Arts.

I also joined the DEP program for the United States Army. I told them nothing about my disabilities, because I wanted so badly to be normal, and I hoped that the military would help me be such.

During my time at Job Corps, I had no connection with my family. I met a girl, and we did drugs. I left Job Corps for my own safety, because I had defended her in a fight.

When I came back to Job Corps, I did so to leave for the military. The military was the worst thing that could ever happen to me. This is a long story in itself and I don't have room to speak about it here.

From there, I went to my father's. I had seen him for the first time at my grandmother's funeral when I was 15 -- an 8-year gap without my father. I was allowed to live with him, but soon messed that situation up.

I was into drugs then, and I brought them into his house. He kicked me out again. I took the $800 savings from the military and rented an apartment.

During that time, I had a job, but lost it, so I decided to look for roommates. I went through 15 of them. They trashed my place, and never paid me a dime. They took full advantage of me.

After 5 months of tenancy, 2 of those months without electricity, I was finally evicted. I became a homeless young adult. I was hanging with a very young crowd, and made many bad decisions.

I lived in the woods on a futon covered by a tarp. I would steal from stores to survive. I was caught shoplifting many times. I was also introduced to Crack/Cocaine.

I met a woman while homeless, and she had a car. After months of arguing, a situation arose. There is much to be said here, and I have it all written down, but it does not fit the limitation of this post.

At the end of the relationship, with my back to the wall, I jumped into her car, and drove away. I drove to a gas station and sat. After a few minutes, an idea popped up into my mind.

I didn't want to be homeless in Michigan during the winter, and I became determined to get out of there. I sat in the car, and waited for someone to pull up and leave their car running.

Eventually someone did… a little old lady. She went into the store, and I wrestled with myself for the extremely long 15 minutes that she was inside.

I finally got the nerve, grabbed my stuff and jumped into her car. She came out of the store at the exact moment I did this.

I drove away as fast as possible. I made my way toward the town I was arrested in previously, picked up the original guy I met in jail, drove around stealing from stores until that car broke down.

I then stole another car to get us out of there, was chased by the police and hit a house at 90 mph in high-speed pursuit. I was not hurt at all.

I was arrested and did 4 months in jail for Auto Theft, and then was released on probation for 9 months. While in jail, on my first day, I was jumped by an entire family that was in the same cellblock.

When I got out of jail, I had nowhere to live again. I met some unruly people again, and started doing drugs once more.

I had gotten a job, and had finally gotten an apartment. While I was at home one day, one of the unruly people that I had met after leaving jail decided to come over to my house.

She brought the main guy who jumped me in jail. I am terrified of this man. He is evil. He beat me in the back of the head with a snow shovel handle, pointed a pistol at me and would not leave my home.

I was finally forcefully evicted by the landlord, and had to go back to one of the unruly people whom I had met previously. He told me steal a car if I wanted a place to live.

We walked and found one. The keys were in it. I parked the car in a hidden spot, and went back to the guy's house.

The same guy who beat me in the back of the head with a snow shovel was there. He pointed a gun at me, and said, 'You are going to drive this car for us."

I was petrified. I did as I was told. There were 4 bad people in the car, 2 guys, 2 girls. One of the girls was 13. This girl was the girlfriend of the guy that beat me. He was 19.

The other lady was the mother of 13-year-old girl. They committed a Burglary, and an Armed Robbery. I had totaled the car, and the guys chased me down the road with the pistol.

I made a decision for myself.

I was going to walk to town, while they were asleep, and never look back. I snuck out, and did exactly that. I walked 20 miles in the cold.

A couple of days previous to this, I had struck up a conversation with a cashier at a gas station in town. I went directly to her for help.

When I got there, she said, "Where is the car?" I told her that it had broken down and been towed. A few second later, my life changed again forever.

A police officer came in, and the woman said to him, "My friends car got towed, can you help him find it?" The officer asked, "What type of car was it?"

I was scared because the car was stolen, so I lied to him. He went outside, and a few second later, 3 more officers came in, and they took me to the station.

I was so scared at this point that I told on the people that had abducted me. I went to prison for Accessory After The Fact to Strong Arm Robbery in South Carolina for 1-1/2 years.

I was then extradited to Indiana for Receiving Stolen property from the burglary the guys had committed. I never had a chance in court. I was scared to fight it, because I had 125 years floating above my head, for what they had done.

I took what was offered in court, and did the time that I never deserved to do. I was released from Indiana Department of Corrections on October 31, 2006.

I was given the opportunity by the parole board to choose where I wanted to live. I went to a mission in another town in Indiana. I was trying to rebuild my life.

After 11 days out of prison, I met my future ex wife. She is a black woman, with 3 daughters, and no desire to do the right thing. I had once again fallen into a bad situation.

She got me into much trouble, and I have been blessed to get out of the marriage with my life. There is much more that I have written, but, once again, due to character limits, I cannot share it with you through this avenue.

I was a free man. That was in 2010. I was very lonely at this juncture of my life, even though the events were very recent to me still.

I posted an ad on Craigslist so I could meet a great woman. I did. She has been such a blessing to me. She helped me get my divorce, helped me get situated, and spent her hard earned money on me, so we could move forward together.

I was still smoking Crack without her knowing, but I then made the decision to tell her about it. I lost her trust right then and there.

We have had many of the instances occur in our 1 year and 7 month relationship. All over drugs.

I thought that if I could just get away from the town I was living in the problem would go away. We moved to Indianapolis, but things got bad again.

I started hanging out with much younger people, because they spoke to me, and had similar interests. I would go over to their house every night.

One of them said "We should get some coke." and we did. This turned to Crack very quickly once again.

We are still attempting to make it despite Co-occurring Substance Abuse. My disabilities make it much more extreme for me when I use drugs, and that much harder to quit using them.

Over the past 3 years, I have become an inventor. Even while I keep putting myself in all of these foolish positions, I invent.

I own 3 separate companies because I have been forced to become an Entrepreneur. I cannot hold a job. I have been designing 2 Android Flash Games, and the next Facebook.

Over the last year, I have made major breakthroughs with my businesses. I am still doing drugs, but I am hopefully about to succeed with my business plans. This is where I stand today.

Click here to post comments

Return to US Indiana.