Header for Ability Mission

32 Year Old Epileptic Nurse Looking For Government Education Grants

by Ranee LeBlanc
(Anderson, MO, USA)

I am a 32-year-old epileptic nurse looking for a government education grant to get the training I need to make a career change.

I was diagnosed with epilepsy in 2006. I have been to numerous doctors and tried several medications. While my seizures have greatly improved, the stress of being a nurse antagonizes my epilepsy.

It makes me angry that I always have to worry that I am going to hurt one of my patients, if I have a seizure at work. I also have to have a sharp mind; the medication I take sometimes prevents me from doing medication dosage calculations.

I also have to have a good night's sleep, which can be unheard of in the medical profession. I am so torn about leaving the medical field because I love taking care of and nurturing people.

Then I began to examine my life and my nursing career, my favorite patients have been my special needs kids and adults. I would like to pursue a degree in special education and/or early childhood special education. I was a volunteer in my daughter's ECSE classroom and loved every minute of it.

I would like to get a government grant to go to school because I would have to cut down the number of hours I work or quit altogether if I go back to school due to the stress (which could cause more seizures) of working and going to school.

I simply could not afford to go to school, if I quit working. I am the major provider for my family. My husband does work; however, we live in SW Missouri and income for him is limited since he does not have a college degree.

A government education grant or any equivalent form of assistance would make such a difference.

Comments for 32 Year Old Epileptic Nurse Looking For Government Education Grants

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Dec 12, 2010
Funding Possibilities
by: Judy

I too have the same condition and was able to secure money for school from the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation in PA. While OVR helped greatly with a grant, I still had to take out Stafford Loans. Check to see if there is a comparable office in your state.

I say go for it! My husband at age 47 is currently enrolled in an R program because of my disability. If he can do it, so can you. There are courses to help you get a foundation to classes. You will have an advisor to help you. Hope everything works out and you get your funding.

Best wishes,

Jan 02, 2010
Me too, kinda, sorta !
by: woodye

I was diagnosed with seizures as well and have tried many mixtures to reach controlled status. I too want to find grant or loan monies to further
my education. Need good sleep, not too stressful, Want some Health care field kinda job. I never got my formal education past high school and that was 30 years ago. Holy crap! Why did I wait so long? Job, family, yada, yada, yada. Kinda all seemed to be of higher priority then. Did you Have any luck?

Click here to add your own comments

Return to US Missouri.