Header for Ability Mission

39 Year Old Bipolar Disabled Woman Seeks Grant Money For Daily Living

by Neathel Cloinger
(Roseburg, OR, USA)

I am a single 39-year-old female with bipolar disorder diagnosed in 2002.

I did get Social Security Disability in 2007. However I only get $694 a month. This is not enough to live on without the help from family and friends.

I have gotten myself way into debt (credit cards, doctors, etc.). I am asking for help because I really want to be able to get out of debt and find a place to call home, that I can afford on my own.

I want to be able to do this without the help of my family and friends. I am very grateful for them both but I still feel like a freeloader.

I am technically bipolar with schizoaffective disorder. I was diagnosed in 2002. I applied for social security and was awarded it in 2007.

I was also diagnosed with posttraumatic stress disorder. I have not been able to work since 2004.

Due to this I have acquired a lot of credit card debt as well as doctor bills. I see a doctor on a regular basis and she to this day is still trying to find the right combination of drugs for me.

Due to my disorder I cannot work. Therefore I rely a lot on family and friends to help supplement my social security disability payments.

I do get Medicare and I am on the state of Oregon's medical plan. This helps pay for most of the cost of my medication.

I do still however have to pay for some of the cost.

I have to either live with friends or family because I can't afford to live on my own.

I have a car but can't afford insurance on it but most of the time it doesn't run anyway. This does make it hard to get to doctors appointments.

I get $694 from social security. Then my family or friends make up whatever else I NEED. I do get food stamps to help with food (not much but enough).

I would like to get a grant so that I can get myself out of debt and a decent car.

This way I might be able to find a place to call my own home, that I can afford on a regular basis.

Comments for 39 Year Old Bipolar Disabled Woman Seeks Grant Money For Daily Living

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 10, 2014
Free Medical Rides
by: James Marich

Hello this is James again. With you being on Social Security and receiving food stamps, you should qualify for free medical rides. Contact your caseworker at the Department of Human Services and apply. I get them for free all the time. I signed up with my caseworker and whenever I need a ride, I call Cascades East rides to set up my appointment. It's that simple. Hope it works for you as well. Sincerely James

Mar 06, 2014
The exact opposite of myself almost
by: James Marich

Hello Neathel. My name is James. I read your story and gave you four stars for trying so well. I also have a listing in Oregon, under my name. You can read it here:


I have lived with bipolar disorder all my life. They have me on 2 mg of Risperidone, 300 mg of Trazodone and a number 10 valium. And it seems to be working well for the past 5-6 years now.

Too bad you didn't live closer; we could combine our checks and get a place for two. My truck is paid for with insurance till I renew in October. Right now I am not supposed to drive because of all the painkillers I am on due to a bad hip and arm.

I know others that combined their resources, and they have a really nice place now. My only drawback is my OMMP Status. If you ever wish to talk, contact me with a comment on my story. Have a good day and God bless you. JMM

Click here to add your own comments

Return to US Oregon.