Header for Ability Mission

41 Year Old Electrocuted Single Father Seeks Government Housing Grant Money

by Mike Harden
(Fort Myers, FL, USA)

I am a 41-year-old single father of a wonderful 14-year-old son. My mother is 60 years old but I do not know my real father because he left when I was nine months old.

Growing up I had a few stepfathers, but my stepfather now and my mother have been married for 31 years. I also have a half-sister, and she is ten and a half years younger than I.

1. Free Advocacy Help
Get a real disability advocate working for you all at no cost to you. (...more)
2. Grant Search Online
Find grants online more easily. Search a huge database of top resources. (...more)

On September 16, 2006 I got electrocuted. I turned on a water faucet and the house I was working in did not have water because it was a hurricane remodel.

The general contractor and the electrician hooked up a well for the house, but the pump inside the well was defective and it was not grounded.

When I turned on the water, the pump kicked out a charge that came through my hand and exited through my foot. My foot exploded wide open, blowing out my Achilles tendon and my artery.

For four years the doctors tried to save my foot, but the nerve damage and blood circulation was very bad. They had to amputate my foot on September 28, 2010.

I live with chronic pain 24 hours a day and I was diagnosed with RSD/CRPS. Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome.

My hips are separated and my discs are deteriorating. I now have a prosthetic leg and I am able to get around a little bit.

There is no cure for RSD/CRPS and I have been told that I will live with this for the rest of my life. That said, I still wake up every morning grateful for my life.

It is very difficult for me to take care of myself. I am unable to work and I can only drive short distances.

I have had multiple surgeries and the doctors inserted a spinal stimulator to help; however it had to be removed two weeks later because it caused too much pain.

I now have a morphine pump inside of me and I also have to take other medications for pain, nerve spasms, blood thinners and depression.

When I am not wearing my prosthesis, I have to use crutches or a wheelchair to get around.

I live on Social Security and receive $579 a month. I pay $100 monthly in child support and I am living on $479 a month.

I do get Food Stamps in the amount of $169 a month, and I receive food donations from a couple of churches as well.

I need a grant to live on and I would also like to get a house or a stable place to live.

My goal is to get counseling or therapy with someone who really understands what I am going through.

Comments for 41 Year Old Electrocuted Single Father Seeks Government Housing Grant Money

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 12, 2012
RSD Electrocution
by: Anonymous

You're in Florida? Best electrocution doctor is in Vero Beach. Hooshmand. Expensive. SSI? Sounds like you're on it. What else? Heat/electric programs through utilities. Food banks. Bootstrap yourself up. I know. I was one of the first on SSI due to a electrocution (1998). Life gets better. RSD stay forever. Good luck!

Sep 29, 2011
Faulty hook-up
by: Ken

Hi Mike,
Did you not have insurance on the house? Contractors are liable for faulty work. Have you gone that route? Perhaps your family doctor can suggest some therapy groups for you. Sorry I just can't seem to find anything else.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to US Florida.