Header for Ability Mission

42 Year Old Accident Disabled Single Man Seeks Help For Social Security Hardship

by Daniel
(Houston, TX, USA)

I am a 42-year-old male, single and never married, with no children. I am the youngest of 8 children from a wonderful family. I have lived most of my life in Houston, Texas.

1. Free Advocacy Help
Get a real disability advocate working for you all at no cost to you. (...more)
2. Grant Search Online
Find grants online more easily. Search a huge database of top resources. (...more)

I suffered a C5 Spinal Cord Injury in November of 1988, the victim of a drunk driver. After a few years of rehabilitation, I enrolled in University where I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in English.

I am mostly independent, relying on help from family and friends. On the whole, I am a functioning and contributing member of society.

From 2001 to 2010 I went without Social Security benefits, largely because I was confident I could obtain full time employment.

When it became painfully clear that this would not be possible, I reapplied and was told my benefits would be reinstated from 2009.

Earlier this year, however, I was informed that because I had worked part-time during that period SS overpaid me to the amount of over $10,000, and that they would be withholding all my benefits until the amount was repaid.

I subsequently appealed for a waiver but was denied, and currently am being withheld $100 per month until 2023.

For the past 10 years I have worked part-time at a community college as an adjunct faculty member and an English tutor. Since 2009, I have received Social Security. My only other source of revenue has been financial assistance from my family.

I am looking for assistance either paying back the amount Social Security has determined I owe them, or I would gladly accept legal advice or advocacy in eliminating what I consider to be undue financial hardship due to their decision.

Click here to post comments

Return to US Texas.