Header for Ability Mission

50 Year Old Single Mother Seeks Government Grant Money For Vehicle

by Edie Wildenstein
(Albuquerque, NM, USA)

I am a 50-year-old single parent of four. I have raised three of my children to adulthood.

These three have disabilities and special needs. In 1993 I lost my mother as a result of her abusive husband. I could no longer deny the similarities in my own marriage.

Determined to change this cycle, I left the marriage. I found that leaving an abusive partner is when the abuse became much worse. Within a month of leaving, I found myself pregnant with my fourth child.

After two years of his punishments and living without child support, I was finally granted a divorce, full custody of all my children, the house and most importantly a lifetime order of protection for my kids and me.

The terror we had been through left my three oldest kids and me with disabling PTSD. My daughters, now ages 8 and 13, were also diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

After years of hospitalizations, a failing mental health system, the lack of information, we struggled with poverty. I could not hold a job and at the same time succeed in my most important job of all, keeping my kids safe.

The years have taken their toll and now with my youngest at 14, I find myself suffering a myriad of health issues and problems, including complete isolation from friends or family.

What I desperately need right now is a car. I haven't been able to get to medical appointments or find a way to make more income.

I receive SSI for my disabilities. With your help and the faith I've acquired through the hard times I expect to make a full recovery and experience the joy I have experienced with four special children

With $10,000 I could buy a car and obtain the legal help I need to receive the retirement disability I was awarded in my divorce.

I am on legal help with SSI and my brother never gave me my share of my mother's estate when he sold her property.

Please help me and my kids find the safety and security we need to survive.

Comments for 50 Year Old Single Mother Seeks Government Grant Money For Vehicle

Average Rating starstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 22, 2010
From another single mother...
by: Anonymous

I would like to express my sympathy for your mental disorders and your children's, but I do have to state that I know for a fact that your children could be, if not already, receiving benefits themselves through the state for such mental issues.

I am also certain that if you already receive benefits, you must have Medicaid insurance, which does cover transportation for your MD appointments. Also, your medical and prescriptions are free or at little cost to you or your children, especially since you are a single mother.

I am also a single parent of 3 children, ALL with dyslexia, ADD/ADHD and bipolar disorders, not to add myself. You can only overcome what you pray for, having faith that God can and will help you with any situation and then let it go.

I will say this, if God knows you need a vehicle, you will get one on His time. I will be praying for you and your children. Do not put your trust in Man for a vehicle. Please read Proverbs 3:5-6.

Apr 21, 2010
Hang in There! :)
by: Katina


I read the previous comment to your story and sadly do not agree with it. It is a common misperception that people who get help with disability assistance "abuse the system." Are you raising your grandchildren? If so, God bless you! That has to be a challenge being disabled.

The amount of income received from Social Security Disability payments is minimal, only helping a family to survive a few weeks out of each month. I know people who receive this type of income, and they have to go without medication, and oftentimes, food. I feel for you, immensely and will try hard to locate resources for you to check out.

There is grant income available to help people start a new business, and pay for bills. It takes a lot of patience, and hard work to obtain a grant.

Steps to receiving a grant for financial assistance, housing and/or medical assistance:

Step 1: Write a personal essay about your current situation: (Which you have begun with the story you submitted).
Step 2: Share your story with a friend for editing mistakes, and for additional feedback.

Many organizations want to know what the problem is, and how you can turn things around. Like, what types of help are you willing or able to provide to your community? Although a disability may prevent you from becoming a volunteer, it may help greatly to contact a local non-profit organization in your community, one that offers assistance to families in crises. Offer to volunteer an hour a week, by coming in or doing things like letter stuffing at home to give back. When an agency finds that you are willing to give something back, they are more likely to give something to the family asking for help.

There is a lot of help for parents for utility assistance, income/food, housing (HUD), and clothing. There is also the PRC program sponsored by the Job and Family Services.

Once you have contacted all of the agencies in your community for help, the next step may be to contact local churches (for fundraising ideas, and other help).

Finding a place to give a grant on the basis of need alone is scarce. However, locating a foundation to offer assistance to a family who is in the community doing something positive, although they are in a bad way, is more feasible.

Thank you so much for sharing your story at Accessible.org. We are here to provide a door to opportunities. How quickly that door is opened is up to the individual. You've taken a great step in the right direction, now; it is time to take another...

Good luck to you,
God bless you and your family.


Apr 10, 2010
Questioning your story...
by: Anonymous

You say you have four children, and three are adults. Then how can you have an 8 and 13 year old? You're already getting support from our income tax that allows you to get your disability check. People with disabilities live productive lives and support themselves. What's stopping you and your adult children from doing that?

Click here to add your own comments

Return to US New Mexico.