Header for Ability Mission

79 Year Old Widowed Disabled Female Seeks Grant Money For Accessible Home

by Gail Ober
(Harrisville, NY, USA)

I am a 79-year-old widowed disabled female. I am presently living in my own home, but now in need of 24 hour care.

Of my 5 children born to me, 2 are deceased, 2 are medically disabled, with the remaining one still working but living 6 states away.

My disability is severe chronic pain of the sciatic nerve. After my divorce I had to provide for my 2 children still at home. I began working for Climax Box Company in Crogan, NY.

I worked for them for nearly 15 years advancing to Senior Machine Operator. On September 28, 1982 I was moving a paper roll weighing over 900 lbs on an overhead moving track in the production area to my machine.

Due to a mechanical defect in the braking and release mechanisms of the moving system, one of the paper rolls released unexpectedly, causing the heavy roll to strike me at lower back-hip level causing a ripping of my sciatic nerve.

After nearly 6 months of recovery, I returned to work, but only for a week, due to a second rip in the sciatic nerve, bringing my working days to a close.

Approximately 8 years ago I was classified as 100% disabled. I was also diagnosed as a diabetic about 5 years ago.

Because of COPD, I began having to use oxygen 24 hours a day about 2 years ago.

Since that time it has become more difficult to maintain my home on my own, now requiring someone to sit with me 24 hours a day.

Recently it has become painfully obvious that I can no longer be alone at home. I cannot drive because of my condition and am in constant pain.

I used to be able to maintain my home alone, even cutting the grass and doing light maintenance on my home, but now find it difficult to maneuver from room to room, having to use a walker and wheelchair at times.

I am on multiple medications; I have constant pain and battle severe swelling of my legs and feet.

I now have to rely on the goodness of neighbors to transport me to doctors' appointments, make sure that my groceries are purchased and bills paid.

At present because of having someone sit with me 24 hours a day, my SS check and Comp checks are not covering my financial obligations.

At 79 years of age with my medical conditions, I cannot work in or out of the home.

My only income is my SS check and two small Worker's Comp checks each month. I genuinely desire to work, but am physically unable.

Because of my need for 24 hour in home care, I am looking for financial aid to make modest repairs to my aging home.

I need to repair a leaking roof, make my home wheelchair accessible with outside ramp(s), add a walk-in shower in my bathroom and replace a few windows because of breakage.

Comments for 79 Year Old Widowed Disabled Female Seeks Grant Money For Accessible Home

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 10, 2011
Home repairs and homecare
by: Anonymous

Hi Gail,

You mention you are on workers comp. Do you have a case manager and a good workers comp attorney?

Workers comp, will pay for any necessary repairs to your home and provide you with nursing care up to 24 hours. Your doctor will submit a prescription for nursing care with the reason why to your workers comp insurance carrier. First you need to contact your attorney to get the ball rolling. This is your right under your workers compensation plan. I hope this helped in some way.

Good luck!

Sep 22, 2011
Home repairs
by: Ken

Hello Gail,
Sorry to hear about your predicament, I couldn't find too much today, but read the following and Google the foundation.
Good luck,

Home Depot Foundation
The Home Depot Foundation provides grants to help seniors and people with disabilities make modifications to their homes. Residents in New York are eligible to apply for a grant through a registered 501(c)3 non-profit agency. Applicants can receive up to $5,000 to make homes accessible. The grant is available on a Home Depot gift card that the owner can use to purchase tools, materials or services. The owner must complete the home modifications within six months of receiving the grant funds.

Read more: Residential Handicap Accessibility Grants in New York State | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8681242_residential-grants-new-york-state.html#ixzz1YjmzK0T1

Click here to add your own comments

Return to US New York.