Header for Ability Mission

Accident Disabled Man Needs Grants To Achieve Independence

by Eric Schumacher
(Vanceburg, KY, USA)

I am a 26-year-old man who was recently paralyzed in an automobile accident. Up until this happened I worked hard, and loved to hunt, fish, and spend time with my fiancée and step kids.

Disability Issues

My tire blew out on the way to work one morning and I woke up in the hospital. I was paralyzed, bleeding, and suffering many broken bones.

Financial Hardship

I am now paralyzed and in a wheelchair. I live at home with my mother, who is providing 24/7 care. I am a prisoner in my own home.

I am unable to drive because my car was destroyed and I cannot afford a new one. I only receive $400 in disability a month and that does not even cover my medical supplies.

Income Efforts

I am receiving SSDI and applying for a vocational program to hopefully help me get a job.

Specific Needs

I seek any help I can get to obtain a new vehicle, a job, and my own home so I can become independent and feel like a man again instead of a child. I was a proud man, and now I am like an infant.

Business Idea

I would like to build handicap accessible playhouses and play equipment for children.

Comments for Accident Disabled Man Needs Grants To Achieve Independence

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

May 16, 2013
God Bless
by: Pamela LeMaster

Hi Eric, if your getting Disability, Call SSI's 800# and ask about the "PASS" program. It's a grant to start your own business. You can also contact SCORE (www.score.com). They have free counseling for people like you and me who may want to start a business. Good luck and God Bless you hun. Sorry about your accident.

May 13, 2013
Help with a vehicle
by: Tracy Fallon

Hi Eric. I had a very good friend who had similar problems. She needed a handicapped van with a lift ramp. There should be a program under your state's website for the handicapped. Look into the possibility for a retrofit van with the option of financing for 10 years at a low rate. I believe most states offer that. I hope this helps!

Click here to add your own comments

Return to US Kentucky.