Header for Ability Mission

Accident Disabled Wife Seeks Help To Buy Home And Care For Disabled Hubby

by Donna Snyder
(Grafton, WV, USA)

We are 53, my husband and I. We have two sons, one granddaughter and one on the way.

We have been hard working, honest people. Yet, despite our best efforts, things just seem to go from bad to worse.

My husband of 36 years has been trying to get disability since 2011. He worked out of state for 26 years. He missed our two boys growing up.

He has peripheral neuropathy, gout and arthritis, and it just keeps getting worse.

In the meantime, while I was working night shift, I fell at work.

Some shrink-wrap that was still attached to a skid of microwaves was lying on the floor. My feet got caught and the next thing I knew, I was on the floor and in so much pain.

I broke my kneecap in half. I had to have surgery. I've been off work since April 7, 2012, will be off another month, and then will go into physical therapy. I'm not sure how long that will be.

I have been receiving workers compensation. It pays only two thirds of my regular pay that we're used to getting.

As a result, we've had to use our credit card and home equity loan to pay for food, doctors' bills, medical premiums for the both of us, gas and just everything we would normally need, including even our medicines.

So we are getting into debt so bad.

What I was wanting to do is get a grant so we could buy a home for the first time, out of city limits, and sell, rent out or sell our house.

I just feel like I want to quit work so I can take care of my husband. He's not going to get any better. With both of us, our health is going downhill.

I just want to be able to be with him for the rest of our life together, however long that may be.

He needs diabetic shoes. I have tried so many different ways to get the things he needs, but I haven't had any luck at all.

I've tried to use my short-term disability. They say you can't if you are on workers comp. I tried to use either my sick pay or my vacation pay. They say I can't use either one of those.

I tried to get a hardship from my 401(k). I don't know if I sent the wrong papers, but they will only give me a small portion. I should have over $7,000.

I've tried to find a work-at-home job online, but everyone wants some money or a fee. If I had money for a fee I wouldn't need the job.

I could really use a grant to either get out of debt or buy my first home. If I could get out of city limits there wouldn't be so many utilities.

I could find a job online, so that I could stay home, babysit my grandbaby and take care of my husband.

I could also use a grant for my son to start a business of his own. He could start an auto mechanics business. He does all work on autos and he can paint cars.

Comments for Accident Disabled Wife Seeks Help To Buy Home And Care For Disabled Hubby

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

May 26, 2012
There are possibilities!
by: Sara Cunningham

You can Google at home customer service representatives and find companies that don't charge a fee to be a home customer service agent. Look through the many sources and try to apply to as many as you can. You will have the choice to work as an employee with some of them or as an independent contractor.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to US West Virginia.