Header for Ability Mission

Bipolar Disorder Disabled Man Seeks Pell Grant Supplement To Finish Degree

by Jacob Scott Barnes
(Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA)

My name is Jacob Barnes. I am 27 and married to Elizabeth, my lovely wife of four years.

I also have a beautiful one-year-old daughter named Katie.

I am on SSDI for my bipolar mood disorders. I was in and out of the crisis unit right after I got diagnosed with bipolar disorder in Clinton, Oklahoma.

The crisis unit was called Red Rock. It was Doctor Ahn I saw there when I was age 20 to 21. She still works there today.

I was denied SSDI three times before I got it when I was about 22. I also suffer from severe depression and severe social anxiety.

Today I am doing much better and am trying hard to get off my disability so I can go back to work.

I am currently enrolled in an associates of criminal justice degree at Liberty University.

I have had no hardships with work, transportation, medication or anything else. My Medicare and Medicaid have helped a lot with my medicines and many doctor visits.

I have not been able to work since I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder almost six years ago when I first got on SSDI.

I am looking for grants to go to my college. I'm currently enrolled full-time online at Liberty University in Virginia.

I don't see just the Pell grant and subsidized Stafford loan being enough to take four to five classes every semester.

After this summer semester I only enrolled in two classes to get my feet wet. I plan on taking four to five classes every semester after this June to August session is over.

Please help me. I have been medicated right for a year now and want to really do something good with my life and in the near future get off of my SSDI and help support my family.

Comments for Bipolar Disorder Disabled Man Seeks Pell Grant Supplement To Finish Degree

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

May 29, 2012
There is help.
by: Sara Cunningham

Have you gone to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ and looked through the scholarships that are available? Also, you can get a ticket to work from the Social Security Administration and use it for the Vocational Rehabilitation Department in your area and they will help you with your education.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to US Oklahoma.