Header for Ability Mission

Bulging Disc Disabled Single Mother Needs Financial And SSDI Legal Help

by Monique Matthews
(Poplar Bluff, Missouri, USA)

I'm a 43-year-old disabled single mother of two daughters. One is 24 years old and the other is 13 years old.

I have been divorced for about 10 years. My ex doesn't help me at all with the children. I have been taking care of them by myself.

I have worked most of my life to take care of my kids. I put one through college/university, and she graduated after 4-1/2 years. I have done the best I can.

The doctor said I have a bulging disc in my back that is pressing on my sciatic nerve. The doctor said it controls my left side. So, I get a lot of pain and numbness on the left leg.

At the end of March of 2010, I was at work and my blood pressure had gotten very high. I went to the emergency room. I could hardly talk or walk. My left leg had gone numb and my tongue felt very heavy.

The doctors said they could not find anything wrong. I have been going to different doctors and nothing they have done has worked. I even see a therapist every two weeks.

The doctor has me walking with a cane to prevent me from falling. I have fallen a number of times when the pain hit and/or my leg went numb and I couldn't put pressure on it. When that happens I fall if I try to walk.

The doctor also has me off work because I have so much pain standing, sitting and walking. Sometimes the pain comes and goes every few minutes. It could last for hours also.

I am on welfare. It is $234 a month with food stamps of $364 a month. I can't pay all my bills. I have a hard time getting to the doctor.

When I have to pay for gas to get my daughter from school, I don't have enough money to pay for my medications. And when the car breaks down, I can't get it fixed.

I have doctors' bills that I have to pay in order to keep seeing my doctor. And I have a hospital bill that I can't even pay at all. There is a dentist bill that went to collection because of non-payment.

I can't work because of the pain. But I do try to get help with some of the churches in the community.

I live in public housing where I don't have rent to pay because of my low income

I try to take people places to get gas money so I can make it to the doctor when I need to go. Sometimes I can get one of my aunt's friends to look at my car when it breaks down.

I have applied for disability and they turned me down. So I appealed the decision. They told me it would take about a year for the court date.

I need help with grants so I am able to buy clothes, shoes and other personal items for my daughter and myself.

Also if I could get help with a lawyer so I can start getting disability that would be wonderful.

Comments for Bulging Disc Disabled Single Mother Needs Financial And SSDI Legal Help

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 26, 2012
by: Laurie

Hi Monique,

I'm Laurie. I'm sorry that you're in such pain. Ask doctors for an MRI. Lawyers don't take your money up front, not for a case they couldn't win. If you have a good case a lawyer will snap you up fast. If you win they get a percentage of your amount. If you lose, they bite it. You lose nothing! Good luck!


Click here to add your own comments

Return to US Missouri.