Header for Ability Mission

Disability Grant To Help CRPS AND RSD Disabled Teresa Acquire Handicap Vehicle

by Teresa Biggs
(Farmersville, Texas, USA)

I am a 47-year-old woman with two sons, both of whom are bipolar, and two grandchildren. My youngest son is 19 years old and lives with me and is taking college classes.

My oldest son, the father of my grandchildren, (four year old twins, a boy and a girl), believes he is no longer bipolar.

CRPS AND RSD Disabled Teresa At Home
CRPS AND RSD Disabled Teresa At Home

I get to keep my grandchildren for the weekend sometimes. When we can, we go places to play and spend all day together and have a lot of fun. I go to church every Sunday, and when they are with me, they enjoy going to children's church. I enjoy my grandchildren so much; they are my life.

Disability Issues

I have Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), also known by the name of Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) in my right foot and leg. This disease deteriorates the bone and muscles in the body.

Precipitating factors include injury and surgery, although there are documented cases where no injury had occurred at the original site. With this disease there is no cure; all you can do is try to manage the pain.

This disease is very painful and hard to live with. It can attack your hands, legs and feet; then it takes over your whole body. Eventually you will have to have your hands, feet, and/or legs amputated.

I also have blood clots in my right leg that I have to take blood thinners for.

I only have one kidney; the other one is dead and has an aneurysm in it so I have to watch what I do.

I have a spinal stimulator in my back for my RSD for the pain in my right leg and foot.

I have to use a cane to walk, but I can't walk very far. My legs give out and my back hurts so bad I have to sit down.

I was diagnosed with the RSD in 1993. I took shots for it twice a week for months, but they did not help. Then it went into remission for a few years. Then in 2004 it came back strong. I went to a doctor for my foot hurting and he gave me a shot in my heel and the RSD is worse than ever.

Financial Hardship

I have not been able to work for many years due to the disease in my leg.

I don't have a car, so even if I could work, I would not have a way to get to a job.

When I have to go to the doctor, or run errands I have to get a ride from friends or someone from the church.

I am struggling with my electric, my rent, my cable service and my phone.

I am on Medicare but I am still having trouble paying for my prescriptions. I have several prescriptions, about six, and every one of them is pretty expensive.

I also have a motorized wheelchair (similar to a Hoveround). I use this often, but when the batteries wear out, they are really quite expensive. I don't have the money to replace the batteries.

I live in an apartment that is federally subsidized, but I struggle to have enough money to pay my portion of the rent every month.

Income Efforts

We live on my son's child support payments, which is not very much when my ex does make a payment from time to time.

In 2006 I was able to get on Social Security Disability, as well as being able to get my youngest son on Social Security Indemnity.

I get $16 a month in food stamps each month, which won't buy many groceries, so I go get food from the North Texas Food Bank every month. I also go to the various smaller food banks in surrounding communities to help supplement the food that I am able to get.

I go to get clothes from Joseph's Coat (at the food bank) and various thrift stores around the surrounding communities.

I also get financial support from the church to help pay my rent and utility bills whenever possible.

I use my Social Security to help pay part of my rent and part of my utility bills.

Specific Needs

I am trying to get a grant that will help me obtain a handicap-equipped vehicle. I can't afford a monthly car payment, so I would need the grant money to fully cover the cost of the vehicle.

It doesn't have to be a brand new vehicle, but a good reliable, gently used one would be great.

I also need help getting enough money every month to buy some groceries, and to help pay my utility bills and rent.

I would also like to be able to find a lawyer that will help me try to obtain custody of my two grandchildren.

Comments for Disability Grant To Help CRPS AND RSD Disabled Teresa Acquire Handicap Vehicle

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 11, 2016
Hi Teresa
by: Rebecca Nakanwagi

I am so sorry for what you are going through. It is unfortunate that we almost share the same problem of disability.

I pray to the Almighty God to bless you and pray for me also to get at least some one who can comment on my profile.

Mar 03, 2016
Disabled Homebound Veteran
by: Anonymous

Teresa I have the same needs as you have except I bought a scooter to get around when I can catch a ride. I am handicapped also. I am homebound just like you. I too need a vehicle with wheel chair accessibility. I feel and know exactly what you are going through. Take care of yourself and may God be with you.

Mar 03, 2016
The Help You Seek
by: Anonymous

Teresa, I can understand your situation. Hard as it is some just don't appreciate that they can move freely and have transportation available when they have it. You might want to check with Legal Aid in terms of getting help from an attorney. My step-father's a retired attorney and he recommends Legal Aid highly. Good luck with your endeavors.

Mar 02, 2016
Next step... the Workbook
by: Don from Ability Mission

Hey Teresa,

Well done! You got your story published! The next step is to get the Workbook, which shows you how to use your story as a springboard to get the help you need.

Best regards,
Don Coggan

Click here to add your own comments

Return to US Texas.