Header for Ability Mission

Disability Grant To Help Grandma Raise Cerebral Palsy Disabled Grandson

by Kathryn Steward
(Towanda, KS, USA)

I am a 52-year-old grandmother. My husband and I live in a small two-bedroom mobile home.

We took over the raising and care of our 18-month-old grandson who was 11 months old when he moved in with us.

I have three grown children with families of their own.

Disability Issues

Andjrue was born with Cytomegalovirus. He spent the first two months in the hospital receiving Intravenous medication to slow down or stop the process.

Andjrue has lesions and calcium deposits on his brain, multiple learning disabilities, cerebral palsy and low muscle tone throughout his body.

It's hard for him to hold his head up for any length of time. He's unable to roll over, sit up or crawl. He needs assistance with all of his daily needs.

Financial Hardship

At the age of 52, I had to quite work, to devote my time to taking care of my grandson whom my husband and I are guardians of.

It has put a financial strain on us to pay for the medical needs and special equipment we have had to buy for Andjrue.

We receive no help from his biological parents, nor do they visit him. My husband is now the only means of support.

He is only making $10 per hour and supporting a family of three.

The only help we receive from the sate is Andjrue's SSI and medical card.

We do not qualify for food stamps or cash assistance.

We have received no child support.

Income Efforts

I have spent most of my time taking care of Andjrue.

I had a minimum wage job, and it would have cost me more in day care for his special needs than what I would be making.

Specific Needs

We need a wheelchair van, which we would use to transport my grandson to and from doctors' appointments and family functions.

Comments for Disability Grant To Help Grandma Raise Cerebral Palsy Disabled Grandson

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Feb 07, 2013
Thank You
by: Kathy

Thank you for the information. I will check it out.

Feb 06, 2013
by: Kim Hubbard

My husband and I have CP and I applaud you for taking care of your grandson. First of all, please visit https://www.ability-mission.org/benefits because after you enter your information on the site it will direct you to, it will enable you to see the programs you qualify for. Some of them are not well known to the general public. I also encourage you to contact your local United Cerebral Palsy or other independent living center to ask about resources. I believe he should qualify for disability and other assistance. God bless!

Click here to add your own comments

Return to US Kansas.