Header for Ability Mission

Government Grant Money Needed For Anxious Family Of MS Disabled Father

by Lisa
(Cincinnati, Ohio, USA)

We need some grant money help and fast! I'm a mother of four boys and one of them has Down's syndrome.

Four years ago my husband was a mechanic. He started to have lots of medical problems, which they now think is MS.

He hasn't worked 'cause he can't balance, sit, walk for short amounts of time and many other things.

He's being treated for this and for depression and so am I.

We adopted our five-year-old grandson who just lost his mother Tuesday from a heroin overdose.

I can only work 25 hours a week or the county takes our medical card, which I need for hubby.

We have fallen so far behind in our rent that if it's not paid in full or darn close to it by August 31 we will be homeless and my grandson will return to the county.

I don't want this to happen. I have called and went to every organization that I could apply at and there is just no help.

My Down's syndrome son Michael is close to his school and doctors. So is my son Shawn and my grandson Donnie.

Please, please help us with some kind of government grant. We have nowhere to go. I'm scared 'cause I feel like I'm failing as a mother and a wife.

Comments for Government Grant Money Needed For Anxious Family Of MS Disabled Father

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 14, 2010
Just read your post...
by: Katina

Have you found any of the help you were looking for? I discovered Accessible.org within the last two weeks and have searched for help where possible.

I was surprised to see no comments on your story. I think the title of the post may be off-putting (although) it does show urgency. Why don't you submit your story again?

Okay, where to begin? First and foremost...

1. Any child who has a disability is eligible to receive Social Security Disability benefits (when the income is low enough in the household). I would start there if you have not already done so.

2. Contact Local agencies in your area for tips.

3. Write a letter (ask someone to review it for all grammar/spelling mistakes), then take it to the local newspaper along with a recent photo of your grandson. Ask them for help with raising funds, or to post the story in the newspaper as a human interest pieces: You being the grandmother and losing a child yourself is a story in itself. (My deepest condolences for your loss.)

4. BCMH: Bureau Children with Medical Handicaps -- provides both short and long term medical assistance programs for children with chronic and life-threatening illnesses.

5. Call the nearest Children's Hospital in your area and ask to speak to a social worker. If anyone has a list of the most up to date programs/financial assistance for a child with a handicap, they will have it.

6. Apply for assistance: home care, home schooling/tutoring, and other educational programs.

7. Contact churches, and even local fire houses for help. Believe it or not, the best place to ask for help is the fire house! When there is a child in need, hearts go out!

8. Go to grants.gov and search for assistance.

9. Tell everyone about your story here and ask them to forward the link to everyone they know, and who they know and so on. By the time ten people email all of their friends, you have reached a hundred people -- who may be better able to donate a dollar or clothing, furniture, garage sale items, support, and further networking ideas.

There are hundreds of stories on the website here, in some of the comment sections; other readers have listed links to grants, and other funding tips. See if there are stories here with similar challenges, then go from there.

Never give up.

I think you are an amazing woman, and I know you can do anything you set your mind to do. Hang in there, and you will get all your family's needs met. Just "don't give up." Okay?

Hugs and Hope going out to you from Ohio tonight.


Click here to add your own comments

Return to US Ohio.