Header for Ability Mission

Legally Blind Single Woman Needs Housing Grant Money To Renovate Home

by Carrie Hill
(Emmet, AR, USA)

I am a 47-year-old woman who has been living on a disability income of $694 a month, and has recently inherited my parent's rent house that is in bad condition.

My children are both in low-income families and cannot afford to help me with redoing the house so that it is livable for me.

My father died last September and so the upkeep was left undone for almost a year because my mother was sick.

When she passed away she left me the house and now I don't know what kind of assistance I can receive to redo this home.

This home was built in the early 30s and needs lots of updates, like new wiring, heating and air, and new plumbing.

With what the electric bill being over $300 a month and gas over $100, plus a $100 water bill I can't afford to do anything but buy a few groceries to live on.

This is the only house that I own, and why should it sit there with no one living in it and me pay rent somewhere else.

It is very close to my daughter who keeps an eye on me and makes sure that I take my medication, and get to my doctor's appointments.

I really need some help redoing this home. Any help you can direct me to would be much appreciated.

Comments for Legally Blind Single Woman Needs Housing Grant Money To Renovate Home

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Jun 21, 2011
Community Resources
by: Anonymous

Call your division of aging and ask for a number to get in touch with a community resource office, about grants.

Sep 15, 2010
Housing Grants in Arizona
by: Katina

As a disabled person myself, I can sympathize with your situation and I definitely understand your need for help.

I've done a bit of research and found these resources for you:

National Resource Center on
Supportive Housing and Home Modification

HUD Housing Assistance

Please let us know if the resources have helped you in any way.

Katina from Ability-Mission.org

Click here to add your own comments

Return to US Arkansas.