Header for Ability Mission

Single Father With Disabled Child Not Working Seeking Grant Money Help

by Chris Blackstone
(Millen, Georgia, USA)

I am a single father of three boys. The youngest has Down syndrome. My wife of 20 years left and we divorced two years ago.

I had to resign my job of five years to move to another part of Georgia where I had family to help. We've adjusted but I've not been able to work due to caring for my disabled child.

I've been able to make it so far due to receiving SSI and child support and food stamps.

On a recent SSI review where I reported child support, they cut my SSI amount by $141 a month.

Then I got another letter from SSI that they overpaid me for the period of time I started receiving child support to date.

They said they would have to deduct an additional $67.40 out of my SSI check, which in total is about $208 out of the original amount.

Even the fact all three of my boys are able to go to school including my disabled child, I have no one to take care of him after school, which would limit me with a job anyway.

I am seeking a grant, if there is one, that would make funds available to me allowing me to be able to stay at home for my kids.

Gavin my child with Down syndrome also often has to go to a specialist, which is 45 minutes from me. This caused me to miss a lot of work when I was working.

Please someone help me or advise me on what options I have. Thank you for your help, Chris.

Comments for Single Father With Disabled Child Not Working Seeking Grant Money Help

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 08, 2011
by: Anonymous

So what has happened since for Chris?

Mar 10, 2011
Helping the Disabled
by: Anonymous

If your child has a case manager contact them. Your child's doctor will have to write a letter saying how many hours are needed for an aide to come in your home. Then that letter gets sent to the insurance company. They also have resources to place an aide in your home. Also call your child's insurance company to see what other services are available. In addition there are grants for other things. Call your state rep. Ask for an application to get a grant for the disabled. I hope you act on this; many people don't.

Sep 30, 2010
Disability for children
by: April

Have you looked into getting disability for taking care of your children with disabilities? You may be able to get more income that way! You should look into it. I cannot help but wish I could!

Sep 09, 2010
Resources in Georgia
by: Katina from Ability-Mission.org

As a disabled person myself, I can sympathize with your situation and I definitely understand your need for help.

I've done a bit of research and found these resources for you:

One Stop Career Center

Our People Work Georgia

Please let us know if the resources have helped you in any way.

Katina from Ability-Mission.org

Click here to add your own comments

Return to US Georgia.